No on W Team
How we can create the county we want
Do you feel like Nevada County leadership is out of touch with your concerns and more and more representative of extreme and minority interests? Do you wonder what they were thinking when they voted to ban outdoor cannabis growing? We do, too, and we have a plan to build a countywide movement to turn things around.
We like doing math, and our math indicates that we don't have to change minds in order to put the county back in our hands—we just have to get several thousand more of the people who also want change to participate in creating the future we want.
There is one kind of mind changing that is needed, though: we need to show our friends who don't usually vote that it can actually make a difference. That's one reason our software has thresholds for action: we figure out how much of thing A is needed in order to change thing B. Whether thing A is votes or volunteer hours, when you pledge some of it you can see how it contributes to the goal, and the victory.
We're running three complementary Take2 campaigns to defeat Measure W on June 7th, each based on exactly what we think it will take to win. To maximize your impact, please take a few moments to pledge to each of them.
- Posse builder. To reach sufficient new voters and volunteers in person and to create a sustained movement to take back our county, we need 1,500 6-person teams of friends. Start yours now.
- Vote builder. We need approximately 6,000 people who don't usually vote to cast a NO ballot. Pledge yours now.
- Team builder. That's this page. To reach 6,000 new voters before the election we need approximately 2,000 hours of strategic volunteerism.
There are many ways to achieve this, and they all depend on individual supporters enlisting other individual supporters. We built this tool to show how much additional support NO on W needs, and to give you concrete ways to take part while seeing exactly how your participation leads to victory.
Pledge to volunteer right now and show our collective power to create true democracy.
Easy ways to help that fit your availability and skills
The campaign and volunteers have created several ways to help right now from the comfort of your keyboard, phone or sneakers. Please make sure to *pledge* before you start working so we can keep track of progress towards our goal! In most cases you'll have almost a month to follow through on your pledge, so even if you make a big pledge it might only amount to a small bit of time per day. Here are some of the options; there are many more to choose from when you pledge.
- Tabling. Getting face-to-face with voters is the highest-impact thing you can do for this campaign. You can do it in front of an approved business or event. You get to choose where, so it can be something you already want to attend. Can be done solo or in pairs. Tabling can involve education, handing out info, registering voters, and helping people make a Take2 pledge. If you're not already conversant with the arguments against Measure W and for regulation, you'll be trained.
- Tableting. Like tabling, except with a clipboard or iPad, and moving through the crowd to talk to people instead of waiting for them to approach you. You can generally reach about ten times as many people this way, and people who register to vote electronically are also more likely to actually vote.
- Phonebanking. It sounds scary, and it can be for the first couple calls. But then it gets fun and addictive. Phonebanking is used to find out which way voters are leaning, identify and coordinate with supporters, and recruit volunteers. Can be done from home or at a phonebanking party with others or your posse.
- Facebanking. Use our tools to find all your Facebook Friends and Friends of Friends who live in Nevada County; then invite them to our private event that contains all the info about our goal and the critical importance of participating. Join our Facebanking group to stay hip and contribute to the latest strategies.
- Supervolunteer. Join the core crew to help strategize and coordinate the efforts of other volunteers. You will also be asked to help orient new volunteers.
- Truckee Supervolunteer. Join the core crew to help strategize and coordinate the efforts of other volunteers. For residents of Truckee with a focus on eastern Nevada County.
- Latino outreach. The campaign needs help reaching the Latino community, especially in Truckee. This position will require a fair bit of self direction, and bi-lingualism is preferred.
- May 23 is the last day to register to vote in the June 7th primary. You can do it online here.
- You can check your registration status and declared party with the County Clerk-Recorder.
- Pot ban won’t protect the Yuba, South Yuba River Citizen's League
- Donate to the cause, the No on W Committee
- Coalition to Tax and Regulate, a non-partisan, community-based group promoting sensible policy in collaboration with the California Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act (MMRSA), local government, law enforcement, business, citizens and the patients of Nevada County.
- No on W math, the Take2 team
- Take the Vote NO on W pledge on Take2
- Build your NC posse
Please note that the goal is subject to change if new information or demonstrated volunteering results suggest it should.