Bernie Takes Nevada
Why Bernie can win Nevada.
We’ve been doing math. It tells us that if the Democratic caucus voting on February 20th reflects current aggregate Nevada polling numbers (Hillary 49%, Bernie 46%), and if turnout is average, Clinton will win by 1,497 votes.
That means for Bernie to win, he only needs the caucus participation of 1,498 of his supporters who hadn’t been planning to vote that day, believers who will participate on the condition that it will probably make a decisive difference.
1,498 people is not a lot of people in a state with a population of more than 2.8 million.
If you think Bernie Sanders stands for something different, genuine and important in this age of bought politics, but aren’t sure he can actually win, this tool is for you.
If you care about the world but have never felt like your lone vote makes a difference, this tool is for you.
If you believe the presidency is bigger than one person and that no candidate—no matter how honest, good-hearted, smart, charismatic, genuine, or passionate—can save our democracy alone without a massive people-powered movement to push and protect him or her, this tool is for you.
Are you turned off by lost causes but willing to volunteer some precious time for what you believe in if it seems like it will probably work?
This tool was made for you.
How Bernie Takes Nevada on Take2 works:
- You pledge to one of the featured actions.
- We all try to gather enough pledges to reach the threshold by the deadline.
- If we reach the threshold, we prompt you to follow through on your pledge.
- You act, and, if our calculations are correct, we win.
Pledge some time right now and show our collective power to create true democracy.
Why it matters if Bernie wins Nevada.
Up until the Iowa caucus tie on February 1, the media, pundits and Democratic Party establishment had dismissed the Sanders campaign. Even though (or, because) he’s a champion for policies that the vast majority of Americans support, he’s been called radical, fringe and unelectable.
Despite these odds, he has more volunteers than any campaign and is breaking all kinds of fundraising records -- building on regular-folks-size donations of less than $30. With his Iowa tie and New Hampshire dominance among nearly every demographic, Bernie has come from way behind to be a true contender. The race is on, and every delegate in every state is now crucial to momentum and the nomination. Heads are turning, odds are churning, and Bernie is increasingly driving the message. And, the more people learn about him and his ideas, the more they support him.
But, and this is a big but, no matter how much support he has, he only wins when individual supporters actually vote! Pledge now, and help launch the political revolution we know in our hearts is possible.
You can start Facebanking right now!
But how can you help him win a state if you don't live there? Our brand new Facebanking tool enables you to find your friends' friends who live in Nevada and Like Bernie. Your job is simply to message them and share the importance of putting your vote where your Like is.
Try the Facebank search now.
Sample message: "Hey Bernie-lovin’ friend of friend, did you know that Mr. Sanders only needs 1,500 extra votes to take Nevada tomorrow? We’re collecting pledges from people who are inspired to caucus when they see that their vote ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE. Can you caucus tomorrow at 11am and let me know that you’re going to do it so I can change our tally to 1,499?"
You will not have another opportunity this year for your volunteer efforts to go as far as they will today in Nevada.
For two reasons.
1. With low voter turnout, a little effort goes way farther. Bernie only needs about 1,500 extra votes to virtually guarantee victory in Nevada (whereas if Texas were tomorrow, he'd need about 47,000 extra votes to probably win).
2. A win now changes hundreds of thousands of minds going into Super Tuesday on March 1. Do you know how much phonebanking it would take to change hundreds of thousands of minds? More than we have!
A day volunteered for Nevada right now is literally worth more than a month of full-time volunteering in March.
- Where Bernie Stands on the Issues, Feel the Bern
- The Coolest Bernie Apps, Grassroots for Sanders
- Bernie Phonebanking 101, Sanders for President Reddit
- In blockbuster poll, Sanders destroys Trump by 13 points, The Hill
- Bernie Takes South Carolina | Bernie Takes Alabama
- Election math, the Take2 team
Please note that the threshold is subject to change if new polling information suggests it should.